Dr. Michael Wasson
Dr. Michael Wasson has been practicing oral & maxillofacial surgery for over a decade. Prior to founding Arizona Jaw Surgery, he founded Seattle Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. After building a highly successful practice that served patients from all over the country, Dr. Wasson and his family decided they preferred the sunny skies of Arizona to the rain of Seattle.
Dr. Wasson knows when choosing a surgeon, there are a small subset of things you should consider: Is this person qualified? Does this person perform the procedures I require on a regular basis? And lastly but most importantly-Do I like and trust this person to take care of me when I need it most?
Dr. Wasson takes all of these criteria very seriously and while he knows accolades are important, he is most proud of the compliments he receives from patients on his bedside manner and approachability. We believe in conversations-not consultations, recommendations-not requirements, and shared decision making that provides you comfort with the direction of your care.
Is this person qualified?
Dr. Wasson is a board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon-a standing that is not automatic or held by all surgeons. It requires additional training and study and is the highest level of qualification possible in the United States. He holds academic appointments at the University of Washington schools of Medicine and Dentistry and has published and lectured on numerous topics in oral & maxillofacial surgery.
Education and Training
- Missouri State University-Graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Honors college with a Degree in Cell & Molecular Biology.
- Baylor College of Dentistry-Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). Graduated with numerous distinctions and as class president for all four years as well as student council president his senior year
- University of Washington Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program-Recognized as a world leader in oral & maxillofacial surgery training, Dr. Wasson graduated with distinction and as Chief Resident in his final year.
- American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery-Board Certification after two years of additional study and two rigorous examinations.
Dr. Wasson is a member of the:
- American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- International Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Western Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Association
- Arizona Dental Association
Does this person perform the procedures I require on a regular basis?
We are Arizona’s only practice exclusive to jaw surgery. While other offices are placing dental implants and removing teeth, we are doing jaw surgery. And nothing else.
Do I like and trust this person to take care of me?
Dr. Wasson takes the most pride in this criteria. He understands degrees and certificates do not make you a good surgeon or more importantly a good person. He is fond of saying that if you don’t like or trust me-please see someone else. While we are not flawless at Arizona Jaw Surgery, know that above all else you will be taken care of.
When not working at Arizona Jaw Surgery, Dr. Wasson enjoys triathlon training and following all things sports. He is a diehard Seahawks, Razorback, Husky, and Sounders fan. He has a wonderful wife, two adventurous children and a golden retriever puppy named “Waffles” to keep him busy.